The Snapshot – The successful candidate will be the company’s first dedicated R&D Scientist; that means they’ll be building the foundation of science within the business, how cool is that?! We’ve allocated over £500k of our latest funding round to build an R&D facility in Q4 2020. That will consist of a circa 2000sq ft space, lots of fun hardware, and an amazing team to run it all.
What is THIS?
THIS is a high-growth, VC-backed start-up producing plant-based food. Meat-alternatives, to be exact. In fact if we’re being reallllly exact – our products are at the leading-edge of the plant-based sector in terms of taste, texture and appearance. Here’s our insta, for a quick stalk – https://www.instagram.com/this.uk
It’s worth mentioning that since our launch in June 2019, the company has experienced extremely significant growth in revenue – around 35% compound every month we’ve been trading.
Why are we doing THIS?
We’re Andy and Pete – co-founders of THIS. Our last job entailed selling tonnes (literally tonnes) of meat. Then we felt bad. Also, we felt like meat-alternatives weren’t realllllly for people who love the taste of meat. We felt like they were for people who like sandals and socks. So we’ve basically ended up making THIS for ourselves, but we’d love other meat-lovers to nom nom it too. THIS is a game-changer.
What will you be doing?
- This is a unique opportunity to join as a senior member of a tight-knit and growing team, building up the internal R&D and innovation function from a standing-start.
- Lead the core science and idea development of completely novel plant based capabilities to be used in products launched to market.
- Carry out world class R&D into the next wave of high quality plant based products, working directly with the innovation launch team – leading on quality, texture and taste.
- Build strong external partnerships with universities, consultants and industry experts within the plant based area.
- Lead on laboratory experiments, formulation builds and developments for new applications of plant based proteins.
- Lead on the understanding of product microstructure and analysis.
- Assist in work around incrementally improving the company’s existing products.
- Work with the Head of Innovation in building up the innovation team moving forwards.
- Keep a close eye on future market trends and appetites, attending key trade-shows domestically and internationally, to help inform the company’s innovation strategy moving forwards.
- We estimate that you’ll spend around half of your time in our main office (based in Notting Hill, London) and the other half in our R&D facility. That facility will be based about 15 minutes away from the office.
What are we looking for?
- PHD (preferred) or Masters degree in chemistry, food science, engineering or equivalent
- >3 years experience as a scientist in R&D / formulation / research within food
- Deep knowledge in oils and proteins (plant-based a bonus)
- Experience in design of experiments, running lab trials and scale up of capabilities
- Knowledge and understanding of IP development
- Experience working with product development teams that have successfully launched products in market
- Experience with sensory profiling in food
- Positive attitude, proactivity and a tenacious character: things in our business can change very quickly, so being comfortable reacting quickly to unexpected opportunities and challenges is super important too!
- Ability and interest to work cross-functionally, we’re a small team and believe that strong collaboration will take us further than working in silos
- Honesty & integrity – a conviction in your work to improve your small patch of the world for yourself and for others
- Team player: we’re colleagues but also mates (unless we’re playing table tennis)
As a start-up, everyone who joins us needs to be ready to roll up their sleeves and carry out tasks away from their core focus because – they just need to get done. That could be helping to prepare samples for a customer meeting, trying new products and giving tasting notes, packing cold bags into boxes or a lot of other random stuff that comes up. They’re not always the most glamorous jobs, but from the founders down, the whole team gets involved!
From our side
- A competitive salary that fairly recognises your experience and potential.
- We are offering share-options in our company to everyone who joins us at this early stage
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank-holidays – we care about our team’s wellbeing, so we make sure you have time to fully switch off, rest, and recharge.
- Flexible working hours – We’re not a 9-5. No-one will tap their watch if you prefer to start late and finish late because you like to go to the gym before work. Our focus is on your ability to deliver for the business, not your ability to keep strict working hours.
- We do really care about our team’s wellbeing so we give everyone a wellness allowance every year to spend on things that will improve their wellness like gym memberships, fitness classes, counselling, physio, meditation apps and more.
- Everyone has the opportunity to work from home a day a month, should they fancy it.
- A values-led working environment that encourages putting people first, honesty, curiosity and leadership.
The chance to have a meaningful impact
As a small, albeit growing, team you’ll be exposed to – and have the chance to contribute towards – challenges and projects at all levels and in all areas of the business. A good idea is a good idea, regardless of the experience or seniority of who came up with it.
We’d love to hear from you, so please apply with your CV and a video cover “letter” (doesn’t have to be snazzy, just 1-3 mins with a quick overview of your background and why you think you could fit this role).