The snapshot – The successful candidate will join the company’s newly created Procurement function, reporting to the Technical Manager, meaning they’ll support with building new structures, processes, and ways of working while supporting the maintenance and improvement of existing processes. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing team and have a real impact on the business, driving Food Safety & Quality strategies with a strong focus on supplier and material approvals as well as supporting with maintaining the high-quality standards we strive for with our products.
What is THIS?
THIS is a high-growth, VC-backed emerging leader in producing plant-based food. Meat-alternatives, to be exact. In fact if we’re being reallllly exact – our products are at the leading-edge of the plant-based sector in terms of taste, texture and appearance. Here’s our insta, for a quick stalk – https://www.instagram.com/this.uk
It’s worth mentioning that since our launch in June 2019, the company has experienced extremely significant growth in revenue – 188% in the last year. We have strong aspirations to continue this growth trajectory as we aim to be the no.1 plant based brand in the UK and beyond and we believe we have the team (50 plus and growing) and investment to do achieve this.
Why are we doing THIS?
We’re Andy and Pete – co-founders of THIS. Our last job entailed selling tonnes (literally tonnes) of meat. Then we felt bad. Also, we felt like meat-alternatives weren’t realllllly for people who love the taste of meat. We felt like they were for people who like sandals and socks. So we’ve basically ended up making THIS for ourselves, but we’d love other meat-lovers to nom nom it too. THIS is a game-changer.
At our core, we believe:
- Stereotypes around plant-based food need to be bulldozed
- Guilt-trips don’t make people hungry
- Plant-based food should mean zero-compromise – this is how we can recruit more meat reducers to the category
What will you be getting up to?
- Support in creating packaging, raw material, and finished product specifications.
- Complete technical-related supplier and customer questionnaires.
- Support with supplier and product approvals.
- Investigate quality complaints, ensuring internal and supplier corrective and preventive actions are implemented.
- Maintain supplier certification statuses and supporting approval documentation.
- Liaise with suppliers to ensure requested actions resulting from process or product non-conformances are completed within specified timescales.
- Support with implementing supplier improvement plans in line with customer requirements.
- Maintain the Quality Management System and records, in line with BRC standards and escalate non-conformances to the Technical Manager.
- Maintain HACCP Food Safety plans to defined frequencies.
- Manage internal product testing schedule.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the FSQA function defined by THIS™ Food Safety & Quality Objectives, assist in achieving internal targets and KPIs as well as contribute to any other technical or quality projects/tasks as allocated.
Hello… Is it you we’re looking for…
- Bachelor’s degree in a science discipline (prefered)
- 1-2 years’ work experience in food safety and quality (manufacturing experience desired)
- End-to-end understanding of frozen and chilled FMCG supply chains
- Supplier (or other external stakeholder) facing experience
- Strong problem-solving skills and high numerical aptitude
- Methodical thinker with high attention to detail
- Ideally a person who’s worked in a high-growth company and has experienced all of the associated growing pains and wins
- A HUSTLER. This person will need to get sh*t done in a major way and knock through what will seem like brick walls. We are leading the category in terms of product, and for us to stay there, you will need to have a relentlessness that isn’t in everybody.
- Positive attitude, proactivity and a tenacious character: things in our business can change very quickly, so being comfortable reacting quickly to unexpected opportunities and challenges is super important too!
- Ability and interest to work cross-functionally, we’re a small team and believe that strong collaboration will take us further than working in silos
- Honesty & integrity – a conviction in your work to improve your small patch of the world for yourself and for others
- We don’t take ourselves seriously and we laugh at the most silly, stupid things… So you don’t need to be a stand-up comedian but having a sense of humour is defo necessary.
- Team player: we’re colleagues but also mates (unless we’re playing table tennis)
As a fast growing business, everyone who joins us needs to be ready to roll up their sleeves and carry out tasks away from their core focus because – they just need to get done. That could be helping to prepare samples for a customer meeting, trying new products and giving tasting notes, packing cold bags into boxes or a lot of other random stuff that comes up. They’re not always the most glamorous jobs, but from the founders down, the whole team gets involved!
From our side
- A competitive salary that fairly recognises your experience and potential.
- Quarterly company nights out and plenty of other social events
- We are offering share-options in our company to everyone who joins us at this early stage
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank-holidays – we care about our team’s wellbeing, so we make sure you have time to fully switch off, rest, and recharge.
- Flexible working hours – We’re not a 9-5. No-one will tap their watch if you prefer to start late and finish late because you like to go to the gym before work. Our focus is on your ability to deliver for the business, not your ability to keep strict working hours.
- Hybrid working – we currently work 3 days a week from our office in Hammersmith and 2 days from home.
- You’ll have a £500 wellness allowance every year (pro-rata) to spend on things that will improve your physical and mental wellness like gym memberships, fitness classes, counselling, dentistry, physio, meditation apps and more.
- To further support mental health, the company pays for Spill, a mental health wellness provider that gives everyone access to qualified therapists and mental health resources.
- A values-led working environment that encourages putting people first, honesty, curiosity and leadership.
The chance to have a meaningful impact
As a relatively small, albeit growing, team you’ll be exposed to – and have the chance to contribute towards – challenges and projects at all levels and in all areas of the business. A good idea is a good idea, regardless of the experience or seniority of who came up with it.
We’d love to hear from you, so feel free to apply with your CV and cover letter and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can!