The Snapshot – The successful candidate will be the company’s first Finance Executive assisting with a multitude of projects and get the opportunity to obtain experience in a variety of financial functions from month end to implementing a new financial software system.
You will work directly with our Finance Manager to implement new systems and financial ways of working. Overall this is a role that offers lots of exciting growth opportunities and autonomy!
What is THIS?
THIS is a high-growth, VC-backed start-up producing plant-based food. Meat-alternatives, to be exact. In fact if we’re being reallllly exact – our products are at the leading-edge of the plant-based sector in terms of taste, texture and appearance. Here’s our insta, for a quick stalk – https://www.instagram.com/this.uk
It’s worth mentioning that since our launch in June 2019, the company has experienced extremely significant growth in revenue – around 35% compound every month we’ve been trading.
Why are we doing THIS?
We’re Andy and Pete – co-founders of THIS. Our last job entailed selling tonnes (literally tonnes) of meat. Then we felt bad. Also, we felt like meat-alternatives weren’t realllllly for people who love the taste of meat. We felt like they were for people who like sandals and socks. So we’ve basically ended up making THIS for ourselves, but we’d love other meat-lovers to nom nom it too. THIS is a game-changer.
At our core, we believe:
- Stereotypes around plant-based food need to be bulldozed
- Guilt-trips don’t make people hungry
- Plant-based food should mean zero-compromise
What will you be doing?
- This is a unique opportunity to gain a variety of experience in a fast-paced, food manufacturer and sector visionary.
- You will be responsible for the general day-to-day running of the accounts. This means:
- Owning a large part of the month-end process
- Managing AR and customer queries
- Posting journals, accruals & prepayments to ensure the accounts fairly represent the trading view of the company
- Working with our external bookkeeper to ensure that invoices are posted to the right accounts and basic reconciliations are done correctly.
- Involved in numerous, large-scale financial projects, varying from analysis on product launches to implementing new finance systems to deal with our massive growth!
- Developing financial systems to be implemented company-wide. For example, in the coming months, we’re building out systems to track project spend effectively. We’re always on the look-out for up and coming financial systems which could be utilised by THIS to better our current versions
- Working cross-function helping other departments with analysis to drive cost efficiency or increased sales
What are we looking for?
- Someone with experience in month-end processes and has a very keen eye for detail
- A HUSTLER. This person will need to get sh*t done in a major way and knock through what will seem like brick walls.
- Someone who is certifying to become a chartered accountant, who is probably in their last year of study, or, has recently qualified. (CIMA, ACCA, ACA, ICAS, ICAEW are all applicable)
- Positive attitude, proactivity, and a tenacious character: things in our business can change very quickly, so being comfortable reacting quickly to unexpected opportunities and challenges is super important too!
- Ability and interest to work cross-functionally, we’re a small team and believe that strong collaboration will take us further than working in silos
- Honesty & integrity – a conviction in your work to improve your small patch of the world for yourself and for others
- We don’t take ourselves seriously and we laugh at the silliest, stupid things… So you don’t need to be a stand-up comedian but having a sense of humour is defo necessary.
- Team player: we’re colleagues but also mates (unless we’re playing table tennis)
- Someone with a keen eye for analysis and knows the power of informed decision-making.
- Someone experienced with mid-tier accounting systems (Net Suite, Sage, SAP)and is very comfortable with posting manual journals (from accruals to prepayments, corrections, and everything in between)
- (A bonus) Someone who is also experienced with using Xero
- Someone with +1 year experience in FMCG and who understands the ins & outs of stock inventory systems
As a start-up, everyone who joins us needs to be ready to roll up their sleeves and carry out tasks away from their core focus because – they just need to get done. That could be helping to prepare samples for a customer meeting, trying new products and giving tasting notes, packing cold bags into boxes, or a lot of other random stuff that comes up. They’re not always the most glamorous jobs, but from the founders down, the whole team gets involved!
From our side
- A competitive salary that fairly recognises your experience and potential.
- We are offering share-options in our company to everyone who joins us at this early stage
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank-holidays – we care about our team’s wellbeing, so we make sure you have time to fully switch off, rest, and recharge.
- Flexible working hours – We’re not a 9-5. No-one will tap their watch if you prefer to start late and finish late because you like to go to the gym before work. Our focus is on your ability to deliver for the business, not your ability to keep strict working hours.
- We really care about our team’s wellbeing so we give everyone a wellness allowance every year to spend on things that will improve their wellness like gym memberships, fitness classes, counselling, physio, meditation apps, and more.
- Everyone has the opportunity to work from home a day a month, should they fancy it.
- A values-led working environment that encourages putting people first, honesty, curiosity, and leadership.
The chance to have a meaningful impact
As a small, albeit growing, team you’ll be exposed to – and have the chance to contribute towards – challenges and projects at all levels and in all areas of the business. A good idea is a good idea, regardless of the experience or seniority of who came up with it.
We’d love to hear from you, so please apply with your CV and a video cover “letter” (doesn’t have to be snazzy, just 1-3 mins with a quick overview of your background and why you think you could fit this role).