Creators of the world's most realistic meat alternative, THIS™, are collaborating with Barburrito, to create a plant-based vegan burrito that tastes, looks and has the texture of actual chicken – and customers can’t tell the difference!
In a blind taste test, 100% of customers couldn’t tell the difference between the vegan burrito and their standard chicken one!
Launching September 24thin all Barburrito stores across the UK
THIS™ Isn’t Chicken is launching in Barburrito stores across the UK on Tuesday 24thSeptember, where it can be added to any burrito, taco, nacho or bowl dish. Prices start at £8.75 – (see locations and opening times via www.barburrito.co.uk).
In a blind taste test with members of the public, when asked what was inside the burritos, 100% of people said chicken!
As Vegetarian and Vegan burritos are now the 2ndmost popular dish at Barburrito (second to chicken), it made perfect sense for the UK’s first burrito chain to embrace the ever increasing popularity of plant-based eating.
Barburrito are the first national launch partner and first Scottish restaurant partner for THIS, bringing their award-winning innovative meat alternatives to the masses.
THIS™ was founded by two meat lovers, Andy Shovel and Pete Sharman, who wanted to show meat lovers, vegetarians and vegans alike that plant-based eating doesn’t have to mean flavourless alternatives or soggy tofu.
Following two years of research and development, partnering with world-leading texture scientists and flavourists, THIS™ mimics meat in taste, texture, appearance and smell, but without the ethical or environmental impact, instead using peas and soya beans as the base.
Morgan Davies, CEO and founder of Barburrito, says: “We have always had a fantastic vegetarian following and it is great to now be working with THIS! and launching such a tasty and high quality plant based filling across the UK.”
Andy Shovel, Co-Founder of THIS, says: “We’re lucky that there are people across the UK who are part of our tribe and hungry for THIS. Barburrito is a very exciting launch partner for us - finally we can feed the people of Scotland and Northern England (as well as the rest of the UK) with a really great burrito that can fool even carnivores into thinking it’s meat.”
- No nitrates
- THIS ‘ISN’T BACON’ contains no nitrates (that are present in pork-based bacon).
- High in protein
- All products are high in protein. THIS packs more protein than: lentils, tofu, seitan, tempeh, most actual cuts of meat, pretty much all vegetables.
- Contains Iron & Vitamin B12
- THIS is fortified with iron & B12.
- No antibiotics and GMO-free
- THIS doesn’t use antibiotics to keep their chickens healthy, because they don’t need chickens. All products are also GMO-free.
Food Critics Can’t Tell The Difference
- THIS™ Isn’t Chicken is so realistic, the team at THIS™ managed to convince 25 food critics and food bloggers that they were eating real meat. Watch the video here: We Tricked 25 Food Critics into eating Vegan Plant-Based Bacon & Chicken
So what exactly is THIS™?
- Meat lovers, Andy Shovel and Pete Sharman, co-founded and successfully exited beef burger chain Chosen Bun, channelling their in-depth knowledge of meat to create the most realistic bacon meat-alternative in the world
- Following two years of research and development, partnering with world-leading texture scientists and flavourists, THIS™ mimics meat in taste, texture, appearance and smell, but without the ethical or environmental impact, instead using peas and soya beans as the base
- Only the products that can truly fool a carnivoreinto thinking they’re eating meat make the final cut,
- THIS™ challenges legacy “plant-based meat” brands by targeting meat-reducers as opposed to purely vegans. With a core belief that meat-eaters shouldn’t have to compromise if they want to cut down on meat, the brand is bold, modern, & rebellious – without making judgement on consumers’ eating habits
- Love of bacon is one of the main reasons cited by meat eaters for not reducing meat-intake. THIS™ Isn’t Bacon is the first product that can be used interchangeably with real bacon without making any sacrifices flavour-wise
THIS™ Eco credentials
- THIS™ has minimal CO2 emissionsin production vs. meat: for example, beef produces 50kg of CO2 emissions and pork produces 13.3kg of CO2 emissions per kg of food produced, whilst THIS™ produces 1.2kg
- THIS™ has significantly less water consumption, standing at 121L per kg, compared to 4184L for beef and 1782L for pork
- Its longer shelf-life than meat furtherhelps reduce food waste
- All ingredients are sustainably sourced
- The first Barburrito was opened by Founder and CEO Morgan Davies in 2005 in Piccadilly Gardens, Manchester.
- Proud to be the UK’s first burrito bar chain and the first to go national.
- The company is currently trading in ten cities (Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Nottingham, London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Sheffield).
- The company employees over 350 people.
- Barburrito continues to expand and is looking for top sites in high footfall destinations including major city centres, shopping centres and travel hubs.
- Barburrito is backed by growth capital provider BGF.
- The company is experiencing strong like for like growth in established sites.
- Combined turnover run rate is now over £15m net sales.